The student should gain a working understanding of aircraft weight and balance, including methods for calculation and aircraft limits for flight, and apply it to various scenarios and configurations.
- tools & charts
- model aircraft
- whiteboard and markers
- aircraft manuals
Explain the theory and fundamentals of weight and balance in a guided discussion; have the student complete several example scenarios.
Read and complete homework assignment; participate in guided discussion and weight and balance activity.
Student can demonstrate the steps required for balancing an aircraft in a variety of situations.
- definition of weight and balance
- terms and their meanings
- basic balance theory
- finding proper empty weight
- finding cg location
- maximum takeoff weight – reasons for use or avoidance
- effects of weight and cg location
- safety: stability, control, performance
- efficiency and performance
- problems and types – comfort with other methods