VFR Navigation and Flight Planning
The student should gain a working understanding of flight planning and the basics of navigation, including aeronautical charts and radio navaids.
- whiteboard and markers
- current charts and AF/D
- example flight log
- tablet with ForeFlight or other EFB (optional)
Explain the theory and fundamentals of flight planning in a guided discussion; have the student participate in the planning of a flight.
Read assignment and come with a route chosen; for next flight, plan flight.
Student can demonstrate the steps required for planning a flight, choosing proper waypoints and filing a mock flight plan.
- charts - features, currency
- weather considerations & go/no-go
- radio navigation
- fuel consumption - calculation errors
- route selection - checkpoints day/night
- airport information - AF/D
- alternates & lost procedures
- course plotting
- using a flight log - properly filled out
- using a flight plan