The student should gain a working understanding of flight planning and the basics of navigation, including aeronautical charts and radio navaids.
Student can demonstrate the steps required for planning a flight, choosing proper waypoints and filing a mock flight plan.
- charts - features, currency
- weather considerations & go/no-go
- radio navigation
- fuel consumption - calculation errors
- route selection - checkpoints day/night
- airport information - AF/D
- alternates & lost procedures
- course plotting
- using a flight log - properly filled out
- using a flight plan